Monday, September 6, 2010

Wholeheartedly

What a great church retreat we had last weekend! On Friday night we had 78 people who came out for our singspiration and smores. Not everyone that came out Friday evening stayed and camped but there were several families that did. We enjoyed our time around the campfire (two of us sat by the fire and visited until 12:30 a.m.) and the fellowship was wonderful.
The weather was beautiful on Saturday and we enjoyed a cookout, blind volleyball, 3 legged races, water balloon games, water balloon volleyball, and flag football. One of the deacons (his initials are Matt Fjare) managed to sneak up behind me as I was watching the festivities and hit me in the shoulder with a water balloon. Ten minutes later it warmed my heart as I rewarded his effort by cascading an icy water cooler over his head.
I came away from the weekend with a bloody forehead and bloody shins. It appears that flag football can be a very physical game when played with someone as competitive as Pastor Dan. I've learned that in any sports related activity, Dan plays with all his heart! Actually, only my left shin was skinned up in flag football, the right one was injured playing horseshoes with Allen Hatfield. I know, realizing I drew blood playing horseshoes made me laugh too! It turns out that even if you are playing a mild game like horseshoes, you still need to watch where you're walking.

Speaking of funny incidents, yesterday Pastor Dan thought I was having a heart attack during my sermon. I have been struggling with a cough all week and I had been praying that the Lord would prevent it from being a distraction while I taught. Unfortunately, in the middle of the message, I started getting a tickle in the back of my throat. I tried to ignore it for a few minutes while I continued to preach. Suddenly I realized that a coughing spell was imminent. In a panic, I quickly reached to shield my mouth from the microphone I was wearing. The hasty movement dislodged the microphone from my ear and knocked it over my shoulder. Realizing I could not catch the microphone in time, I scrambled to find the mute button on the transmitter hooked to my belt. After my coughing spell, I turned back to the congregation to see them all looking at me wide-eyed.
That minor catastrophe aside, it thrilled my heart to hear the church sing the closing hymn this week. I quietly praised the Lord as I enjoyed hearing the lifted voices singing "The Wonder of it All". On the way home Karen, who was playing the piano during the closing, mentioned to me that she thought the congregation was truly praising the Lord for his wonderful creation. She said that from her perspective at the piano it sounded louder than she had heard in quite a while. What a joy it is to stand among believers when they sing praises with their whole heart

This Wednesday will be the start of our new children's program "Kids4Truth". I thank the Lord for those in the church that have committed to this new ministry. We look forward with anticipation to what God will do in the hearts of the children that attend this program. As we look at our purpose statement to "Introduce, Instruct, and Inspire" we are excited about the opportunity Kids4Truth gives in instructing children in Christlike maturity. Please continue in prayer regarding this important ministry.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree with Karen. It was AWESOME!!! Thanks for all the work and time you give to help us see the Greatness of God each week. Going through creation has given me a completely different view of who God truly is. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you noticed too! Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Pastor Dan was the only competitive one that showed up at the retreat Just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete