Sunday, November 14, 2010

I Corinthians 9:27 (Totally out of Context)

We had a great time as a church family last night at our Chili cook off and Pumpkin dessert contest! I never received a count on how many were there but the night was well attended. Thanks go to Don and Pam for opening up their home, decorating, providing a great bonfire, and taking the group on hay rack rides. The facilities were wonderful with plenty of room inside for people to eat and visit in a warm dry place. There were so many people to visit with, so much chili, and so many pumpkin desserts that I never even had the chance to play a game of ping pong. Every time I walked by the game room though I could see that it was non-stop competition.

Speaking of competition, we had 14 different pots of chili on the table. I can't list the names of all the chili but we had quite an assortment - everything from white chili to pumpkin chili. Unofficially, #9 - Tailgator chili was my favorite. Officially, it came in third. Top honors went to Steve Carper with his Boilermaker chili. In fairness to Steve, I had tasted almost every other chili entered in the competition before I tried the Boilermaker. In fact, I didn't try it until I received word that it had won. You see, I gave it my best shot to eat half a cup of every chili entered. I kept this up until I had tasted ten of them. I then decided that rather than continuing to eat a sample of each, I'd just get a bowl of what I had liked the best. It was only after doing so that I found out #5 had won and I hadn't even tried it. Sacrificially, "I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection..." so I had a cup of Boilermaker.

I must confess, I didn't have much room left for pumpkin dessert. Yet I did have two pieces of Sara Moore's pumpkin dessert. I should have written down the name of the dessert so that I could share it here but I was too busy enjoying the taste to concern myself with names. Yes, she was the official first place entry.

Thanks to all who worked so faithfully to make this event a special evening. Your hard work was much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment